Logo

1983 175 V6, No fuel pressure

pfcmcc

Hi all,

I have a J175TLCTD, a 1983 Johnson V6 175hp. I am running into an issue not being able to turn the engine over because it won't build fuel pressure when pumping the priming bulb. Initially I thought it was a stuck float needle in the carb bowl because I saw fuel running out of the carb throat when pumping the bulb. I removed the carb and replaced the float and needle to find that it was still leaking. I found that the fuel is getting past the primer solenoid when pumping the priming bulb, the red lever is parallel to the solenoid body in the "normal" run position. Could fuel getting past the primer solenoid be the cause of a lack of fuel pressure when pumping the priming bulb? How would I fix that?

Thanks

If fuel is getting past the fuel primer solenoid, that has nothing to do with a carburetor flooding, that would simply allow fuel to flow into the intake manifold assembly. The RED lever should be pointed straight at the other end of the solenoid to be in the normal RUN position. Carefully remove one of the small hoses from the primer solenoid, then pump the fuel primer bulb up hard. If fuel shoots out that hose, the diaphragm in the primer solenoid requires replacing.

The float setting?...... As follows:

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

If after you've corrected the two above problems, the fuel primer bulb still won't get hard when you pump it, let us know.

Thanks Joe,

I took off a primer hose like you said, and fuel shot out when pumping the primer bulb. I removed the solenoid and opened it up, the diaphragm looks fine, but underneath the plunger nipple was cock-eyed and a bunch of white plastic is melted around the spring and metal plunger within the solenoid body. I guess I'm going to need a new solenoid or a re-build?

Sounds like someone had 12v applied to that solenoid constantly.... possibly connected to the wrong ignition switch terminal? Yeah, unfortunately, when they overheat like that, the best thing to do is simply replace the assembly.

Back