Logo

1982 Evinrude 50hp / Water Tube Grommet and Gaskets

tickridge1212

I have been doing some research on the internet and ran across this forum. It looks like a great place! I have just registered and I am posting my first topic. Hopefully you all can help me out on a couple questions that I have. I am replacing some gaskets in the midsection (exhaust housing) of a 1982 Evinrude 50hp long shaft and have encountered a couple of problems. I am scared to finish reassembling the outboard without knowing the answers.

1) I have read some conflicting information on the internet concerning the new replacement gaskets that are now available. I have purchased a new powerhead to adapter gasket and an adapter to midsection gasket. I have the original shop manual and it says to use gasket adhesive for this year and model. I have read that the newer gaskets that appear shiny and are somewhat sticky do not require the gasket adhesive. The gaskets I have match that description. Should I still use adhesive or leave them alone?

2) The water tube grommet that goes between the top of the water tube and the adapter plate needs to be replaced. The original soft rubber grommet has been discontinued (322308) and replaced by a hard plastic water tube washer (332363). The original grommet fit snuggly and filled the entire area between the water tube, adapter and flange that clamps the tube to the adapter plate. The new replacement washer does not fill this area completely. I am concerned that there may need to be two washers (one on each side of the flared end of the water tube. It seems like this washer will cause water to leak at this location. Has anyone used this new washer instead of the grommet? Any advise on this one?

Hopefully I have provided enough detail for someone to understand what my concerns are. thank you very much in advance for any help you can provide.

The original grommet is replaced by 2 - two- washers as you have discovered, but both between the adapter and tube according to the parts list.
I would coat every gasket (except the head gaskets with a sealing 'stripe') with BPR (OMC) Sealing Compound (Loc Tite Aviation) and intake/carb gaskets that should be installed dry. It may not bee needed if gaskets are pre coated, but it will definitely not harm! Even use sSealing Compound on all screws going into casting material. It lubes during installation, and seals from later water intrusion in the threads.

Thank you very, very much for the information. I knew you all could help.

The above post brings me to another question. Can you tell me where to find the parts diagram that you reference that shows two washers? All of the ones I have seen just say that one washer is required. I would love to find an updated parts diagram with the new parts and numbers. These diagrams provide a lot of help when disassembling and reassembling these motors.

Thanks again for the response.

Thanks for the information. I have been looking at the diagram for my year model and it is different. I assume that once they started using the washers they started indicating that two were required and never updated the older model diagrams to reflect the change. I have ordered another washer and when it gets here I will try it out to see how it fits with two. It has to be better than what I have now. I will post the outcome so others may benefit from my experience.

Thanks a gain for everyones help.

Back