Logo

1981 Evinrude 60hp shift rod adjustment.

Bartro3519

Greetings to all. Just joined. I am so new I still have that new member smell! Anyway, enough about me, let's talk about my engine. I am in a bit of a pickle and hopefully one of you can help. I just rebuilt my 1981 60hp Evinrude Model E60ELCIA lower unit because it wouldnt go into reverese......just grind. Rebuild wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. When I was dismantling it, I did take note of the shift rod length, measuring from the top of the foot. I got 21 ³/16" to the very top of the rod. When I was watching self-help videos, I saw where one guy said the measurement should be 21 23/32" to center of bolt hole. I set it back to my original measurement. Got it all back together and manually shifted without cables hooked up. It goes into reverse (prop stops freewheeling) but move shifter to forward and it won't lock in. So, is there somewhere that I can get the proper measurement, and method for this exact engine model? Any help will be deeply appreciated. Now that the summer crazy lake traffic has ended, I need to get out on the water instead of having this 17' yard ornament just sitting here. Bank fishing isn't working for me. Thanks!

1978 - 1981 - 70, 75hp (L) 21-23/32" plus/minus 1/32". Have shift rod in neutral.

That's from the top of the gearcase housing to the center of the shift rod hole, facing forward.

Still kicking Scott, just turned 91 this past Aug 6th.... feel like I'm about 48 and planning to be around for a long time. Just thought I'd drop in and take a look see. Nice to be remembered, appreciate it.

Back