Logo

1981 Evinrude 15hp throttle control

Dgill

Slowly rebuilding my 1981 15hp and realizing the previous owners were either very rough on it or had a pretty terrible mechanic. My newest issues is that something isn't quite right with the vertical control shaft for the throttle control. There's a piece snapped off about 1/2 way up (picture included below) which doesn't seem to have any functional role. The bigger issue is that the idle control screw interferes with a piece on the vertical control shaft which makes it so that I can't get a full rotation. Is it the vertical control shaft that is the issue or the idle speed control?

165F231F-B08F-44A3-BC9C-28C397381A66.jpeg 497AB584-10C3-490C-9E3A-80E9407EDC51.jpegA0B177B9-157C-480F-B762-AD062C96B779.jpeg

Last edited:
Slowly rebuilding my 1981 15hp and realizing the previous owners were either very rough on it or had a pretty terrible mechanic. My newest issues is that something isn't quite right with the vertical control shaft for the throttle control. There's a piece snapped off about 1/2 way up (picture included below) which doesn't seem to have any functional role. The bigger issue is that the idle control screw interferes with a piece on the vertical control shaft which makes it so that I can't get a full rotation. Is it the vertical control shaft that is the issue or the idle speed control?
Put up a pic. Something is not assemble right. The plastic idle speed control should not interfere with anything.

Last edited:
Is there any trick to getting photos to upload? I’ve tried from my phone and laptop and when I click upload nothing happens.

The missing arm...brokin off..is unused with tiller steer.

The item to the right is the idle speed control. There is a missing plate that keeps the flat part from turning..fastener hole for that plate is to the left..single hole.

The missing arm...brokin off..is unused with tiller steer.

The item to the right is the idle speed control. There is a missing plate that keeps the flat part from turning..fastener hole for that plate is to the left..single hole.

I have the plate, I just removed it to get better access to the idle speed control. The issue is the idle speed control interfering with the vertical control rod.

I have the plate, I just removed it to get better access to the idle speed control. The issue is the idle speed control interfering with the vertical control rod.
I think you have it assembled backwards. That arm should be moving away from the stop as you are throttling up. I bet when you put it together you had the throttle itself advanced.

Right.....the problem is in your assembly related to vertical control shaft.......and "timing" of gears "upstream". Here is what it looks like with the throttle control arm not broken off.
Note: Pictures have to be under 1000k.

Attachments

• IMG_20210602_101752408_HDR_compress77.jpg
    IMG_20210602_101752408_HDR_compress77.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back