Logo

1981 75HP johnson shuts off when put into gear

Jacques Elias

My Johnson will start right up using the fast start lever. It idles fine when the lever is up or even when I turn it on. When i move the fast start lever down it idles ok but spuders a little. No matter how long I let it warm up the engine will shut off once I put it in heat. If I get the rpms high with the fast start lever and put the boat into gear as the rpms come down the boat will run into gear. Any idea what the problem might be? Thanks.

How long have you owned it ?-----First thing to do is a compression test.----Then check and see if it has strong spark on all 3 leads.----Strong spark can jump a gap of 7/16" with ease on that motor.-----Did this motor sit for a long time with fuel in the carburetors , yes , no or do not know ?

How long have you owned it ?-----First thing to do is a compression test.----Then check and see if it has strong spark on all 3 leads.----Strong spark can jump a gap of 7/16" with ease on that motor.-----Did this motor sit for a long time with fuel in the carburetors , yes , no or do not know ?

Thanks for the reply. I just bought the boat so I am not sure how long it has been sitting. Should I do a compression test and clean the carbs?

Post #2 suggests a compression test first.----Then test the ignition system to see if it can provide maximum voltage to each sparkplug !------No money spent to do the testing.-----But it is your motor so I can not force you to follow a plan.

Back