Logo

1980 evinrude v4 85hp carb upgrade?

TravisT

V4 evinrude guys , care to chime in? Hi I have a good running 1980 85hp , the motor came with 1 3/16 carbs (115hp carbs) but the carbs have 85hp jets (58c) my question to you guys is should I buy some 60c jets from a a 115hp and put them into my 1 3/16 carbs . My 85hp original should have came with 1 1/16 carbs but it came with the 1 3/16” . Has anyone done this upgrade? I know the 85hp ports are smaller than the 115 so I will have a little more carbon build up in my cylinders. But I wouldn’t mind taking the heads off my motor and cleaning my pistons and head to de carbon every year. I’m sure my boat will be a bit faster but can my pistons and block handle the extra fuel? I don’t want to blow my my motor. Even tho the 115 and 85 has the same displacement the only difference is bigger ports on the 115. My engine has good compression 125-135 . I get about 36mph currently

Uh no as porting will not allow you to burn the extra fuel......and those carbs came on 90/100/115 HP. The 85 port timing and smaller ports just wont let it breath

Uh no as porting will not allow you to burn the extra fuel......and those carbs came on 90/100/115 HP. The 85 port timing and smaller ports just wont let it breath
Ok thanks I won’t then. Would it be worth it to find the correct 1 1/16 carbs for my motor?

Ok I won’t then. Would it be worth it to find the correct 1 1/16 carbs for my motor?
How do you feel about me installing the rubber intake blocks from a 115 into my intake? I have them already from my parts motor . At that rate might as well get some new reeds . What are your thoughts on that

The reed valves on a V-4 are very durable and long lasting.----What do you think will be achieved by replacing them.-----What will you achieve by installing the rubber filler blocks ?

Back