Logo

1980-81 Mercury 9.8 Linkage / Lower unit issue

Fish Mike

Hi All, my first post. I picked up a 1980-81 Mercury 110 9.8 on craigslist for $100. Tested it in barrel and when I put it in neutral to start it is actually still in fwd gear, it did start however, ran great! No telltale so I dropped lower unit and figured it was just installed wrong. After putting back together realized that neutral is actually about 1/2" past actual neutral. Performed test from Seloc manual and fwd tests correct rotates clockwise. Move gear to neutral, still in fwd but if i go just past neutral, prop is free spinning, and reverse will not move more that 1/4 in either direction. The splines on shift rod are flat on 1 side to you cant adjust just 1 spline to correct. Can I adjust linkage at top of engine? Do I need to have lower unit rebuilt? What are my options? Any help would be appreciated. mercury 1.jpg

The LU is not on right. Those are tricky to do. Put the motor upside down on a blanket when you put the LU back on. The shifter splines go only one way, so don't force anything or you'll yank the shift rod out of the LU.

Jeff

Back