Logo

1980 115hp V4 VRO

spearedfishes

Hello Everyone, I am new to the Forum but have read some good stuff. I have a 1980 115hp V4 VRO 2 stroke with 500 hours. The VRO has been by passed so I mix the 50:1. I bought the boat and motor from 3rd owner. Boat sat for 3 years, and she stared up but died after 30 sec, no excessive smoke sounded good. Compression test after using some marvel in upper cylinders for a day is 115 to 120 on all 4. I tried to get engine to run with the sea foam spray trick in carbs(used this trick on many Motorcycles). Boat would run for about 3-5 min and then die. Tried it 4 or 5 times the decided to rebuild the carbs. Fuel bulb would hold pressure before carb rebuild. I rebuilt carbs with a Johnson carb kit (replaced every thing I could with kit), replaced fuel filter(old fuel filter was gunked up), new plugs and now the engine has a lot of white smoke especially out of prop area. Engine idles funny but when you turn up RMP over 2k she sounds good. She drinks a lot of gas (drinks about 3 gallons a little above idle a hour) and the fuel bulb wont stay hard, if I keep pressing fuel comes out of carb, but she will run until the tank is empty. I do have to start with high idle to get her going. She pees well. I'm using a small 3 gallon tank to trouble shoot and bulb holds pressure until connected to motor. Cant find fuel leaks on outboard and lines look good. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Well---1980 models did not have VRO.------Model # is ?----Pictures ?---Fuel should not leak out of the carburetor.-----It needs a new impeller if you do not know how old it is.-----Are all throttle plates CLOSED at idle ?

Well---1980 models did not have VRO.------Model # is ?----Pictures ?---Fuel should not leak out of the carburetor.-----It needs a new impeller if you do not know how old it is.-----Are all throttle plates CLOSED at idle ?

Impeller has been changed, lower fluid done, ordered power trim fluid to be safe, lubed steering with grease gun, Model is J115TLASB, sorry its a 1990. I tried to update thread but it did not allow me, good catch. The throttle plates are closed at idle. Today I will pull carb off and put original float needles and floats back on.

Last edited:
While you have the carbs off, make sure the jets way in the bottom of the carbs are completely clear. Run a single strand wire through them. Also, if your carb bowls are plastic, check to see if they have warped by sanding them on a piece of glass. They warp and allow air in even though they don't look like they are leaking fuel.

Update, I pulled carb off and for some reason it was dirty again. Fuel was new so I got a little discouraged.Took a deep breath and tore carb apart again. As riopga suggested I checked jets at bottom and one of the 2 on each carb were clogged. Carb bowls are plastic the seemed straight. I also replaced all fuel lines. Engine seems to run as it should. I will take it for a water trial soon. I have a 6hp kicker to get me home if anything happens. But she idles correctly. Thank you all for help

Back