Logo

1979 Mercury 80HP will not run

Heyblue

Bought engine used so I do not know history. Noticed hole in exhaust side plate so replaced it and one of the inner plates
which were very pitted and had a hole in it. Had to rebuild starter, it was very corroded internally, Removed and rebuilt both carbs. They didn't look too bad though. Replaced the water pump since didn't know history, It also didn't look too bad.Tried to start it. Can get it to fire up and run for short bursts if I squirt starter fluid in the carbs. It will not stay running.
Battery is fully charged and the motor turns over fine. I checked all four plugs and they are firing when left out of the cylinders just hanging on the plug wires. I checked compression and have 150 psi in top 3 pistons number 4 is only 90. Got those reading with all plugs removed. I removed fuel line just in front of carbs and get gas squirting out when I crank it. I also removed the main jet on the top carb and gas came out indicating the bowl had gas in it. I tried to check timing but noticed the marks on the top crank seem to be about 1/4 turn off. I looked into piston 1 with plug removed and when it was at the top I put a mark on the crank gear where it aligned with the timing tab. Then when using a timing light on #1 it was firing close to the mark, so assume it can not be off that much and that the crank gear must have been removed at some time and not put back on correctly. One other thing I tried., while cranking I put my hand over one of the carbs thinking that would force the engine to suck gas. The suction was not that great, and the engine did not start, though it seemed to try at a few points. When I have put my hand over 4 cycle engines I have noticed quit a bit of vacuum. Not sure if I should expect the same with 2 cycle engines. If this was a 4 cycle I would have assumed a possible major leak in the intake manifold, but it doesn't seem like this engine has a intake manifold, or does it?? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Back