Logo

1979 johnson water leaks

yrtem

Hey guys

I have a Johnson 35 horse power 1979. Bought it and have been working on her. Started but wouldn't stay running, so rebuilt carb. also the linkage to forward reverse was not connected. Got new connector and that is now functioning properly. Got it all back together and she fired up, and ran very well after a little tuning on the lean screw. I was worried I wasn't getting any water out exhaust ports. Then water started coming when I put her in gear. Then back in neutral and still good water flow. However I have water coming out of 2 ports in front of shaft cover. Also out 2 small holes in upper back of cover, and out inspection plate, and up by gear shift lever. Is there a seal bad, or did I not get pipe in right hole, or where did I go wrong. I removed lower unit to work on linkage and assume the copper pipe goes up to engine to supply water from pump. You can't see to make sure it all goes in right, but it all has to line up in order for it to fit back to bolt it back on. I don't think you could miss the hole with tube and it still go into place right. Something is wrong. Before i tear it down again I would like some advise so I am not wasting time. Thanks.

Copper tube should be in place up inside the grommet in exhaust tuner before you install lower unit.-----Then you can see tube going into the pump.---------If you are running in a test bucket the water level MUST be 6" above the pump!

I have plenty of water so I think I'm good there. However the pipe seemed connected to pump and all came out in one piece. The way it was attached to pump seemed odd. Im decent mechanic, but new to working on outboards. So I guess I'm back to pulling lower unit and take a good look see. Thanks for the response. Maybe that is issue. pipe and gear shaft, all went in at same time with lower unit. I'll see what it looks like when I break it down a gain.

It sounds like you have a variety of unrelated leaks Hard to tell by your desctription but is the "shaft cover" actually the lower motor mount? It is normal for water to flow out those drain holes--quite a lot of water actually.

The other holes, has the motor been run hot at some time in it's past. Overheating was a common problem on those motors in particular lakes. Probably has a bunch of heat-damaged gaskets and seals.

Thanks guys. I took it back down, and pulled pipe out of pump and installed, then reinstall the lower end. Now getting good exhaust water out 2 holes in front of cover that covers drive shaft pipe and linkage, and goes between lower end and motor. these are bigger holes and really pump water. The other 2 holes are on back end of this, are smaller and seem to actually spit water out. Seems like engine exhaust coming out these holes too. there is a small round rig by gear shifter drips water. looks kinda like a grease fitting. On back of this is inside engine cover and connects to hose and wraps around to top of engine. Other places no longer leak water. Don't think she was hot but who knows. compression is good. Runs good. revs and idles good. I am concerned about amount of oil in water barrel. Dont know how long it has set idle. lots of black stuff out exhaust. Also don't know how well the gas mix was regulated, by previous owners. I just bought this so I am just trying to figure these things out. Plugs are different than auto plugs but seem clean, and appear to be firing properly. any other advise is greatly appreciated.

Dripping from gearshift grease fitting is a worn out o-ring on shifter shaft. The only problem it will cause is faster wear of shifter. Black oil in barrel is completely normal. It is the oil that you put in the gas that has gone through the engine and done it's job. Get it out of that barrel and on a boat on the lake and it will be a whole different motor.

Water should spit out the exhaust relief holes in back side of exhaust housing. Don't be fretting over all those other drain holes. They are there for a purpose.

o.k. Thanks for the response. I am about ready to put it in the water. This storm is messing with my schedule. Need to do some grooming on the prop, and get it back on. Mount it on boat, and run it. I'm sure I will need some more help. Nice to know you are there for us who are johnson engine newbies. Always wondered how they came to be called boat motors. Motors are electric. Thanks again to everyone. These forums can provide good solid info fast. You make that happen and it helps a lot of people.

Back