Logo

1978 Merc Exhaust Cover

sullybe

Contributing Member
I am replacing the exhaust cov

I am replacing the exhaust cover gaskets on my 1978 115 hp merc.Do I put the gaskets on dry or is there some type of sealer I should use. The old gaskets look like one was dry and the other had some sort of sealer on it.

Dry. And be sure to lube those

Dry. And be sure to lube those bazillion bolts in case you want to get them off again.

Jeff

"Thanks Jeff, I was going to p

"Thanks Jeff, I was going to put never sieze on the bolts. I still have 1 to get out and it is slow going so I don't hurt the aluminum head.

Dan"

"Jeff,I have finished cleaning

"Jeff,I have finished cleaning the exhaust cover and the baffle plate.They both had some sort of gasket sealer on them.Is there a down side to using gasket sealer on these parts? They cleaned up pretty good but look like they should have something on them.

Dan"

"There are three plates an out

"There are three plates an outer water jacket, a exhaust baffle plate and a inner exhaust plate the bolts on the inner exhaust plate are glued in with a araldite type product which you can buy from any mercury dealer.

If you use a non harding type sealer on the gaskets when you tighten the bolts the gaskets will ooz out the sides. the gaskets have a heat activated sealer on them"

"Thanks for the info Jamie I h

"Thanks for the info Jamie I have never heard of a gasket with that type of sealer. I was going to use RTV silicone that dries before the engine is started ,is that usable??

Thanks Dan"

"I just put the exhaust cover

"I just put the exhaust cover and baffle plate together, The Seloc manual said to tighten the bolts to 21 ft. lbs. which I did. It seems tight but 21 ft. lbs seems to be not enough. Has anyone done this job before and how did it work out with that little ft lbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dan"

That sounds like more than eno

That sounds like more than enough torque. It's just a cover and not holding back an excessive amount of pressure.

Small Merc powerheads are only torqued down to 10 foot pounds - and that's to hold the powerhead onto the exhaust housing...

"Thanks Graham, this is the fi

"Thanks Graham, this is the first time I have worked on an aluminum power head this big. So I was a little nervous putting only 21 lbs of torque on the cover and putting the rest of it back together.

Dan"

On a 1977 115 tower of power does the power head need removed to replace the exhaust cover gasket or can it be done without removal.

It is a lot easier to clean the gasket surfaces with engine on a work bench.----Easier to install the new gaskets.----You might want to inspect / replace lower crankshaft seals as well.

Back