Logo

1978 Johnson 55 waterpump question

Bombdigitty

Hello all. I am new to this forum, I have a good running 78 johnson 55 on a family boat. Im thinking about replacing the waterpump impeller for prentitive maintence. The current impeller must be around 10 years or more old. It would have been last changed by my uncle when we overhauld the engine.

Ive never had the bottom end apart and am wondering whats involved. Im fairly mechanical.

looks like removing the 4 bolts from the lower unit should allow it to seperate. Is that where I would start?

There certainly are more than 4 screws involved to remove lower unit.There may also be one hidden under the trim tab ( depending on model )----Also the starter should be removed for easy access for shift rod disconnect.

There certainly are more than 4 screws involved to remove lower unit.There may also be one hidden under the trim tab ( depending on model )----Also the starter should be removed for easy access for shift rod disconnect.

Thanks for the reply. I was just refering to the 4 mounting bolts around the outside of the lower drive. I wasnt sure if there would be one under the steering tab (not sure the correct turm) or not. Thanks for the tip about the starter. I think ill try and find a service manual before i dig into it to far.

Back