Hello all!

TLDR; at the bottom

Boat specs:
15ft Sea Raider Tri-Hull
1978 Evinrude 70 3-Cyl 2 stroke
Model 70873c
13" 1/4 x 17 Aluminum Prop

The story:
I recently purchased a 15ft sea raider with an evinrude 70 from a friend. Originally the engine was getting no spark due to a faulty ignition and I replaced the ignition and inspected the harness. All was well.

Had it out memorial day weekend on the detroit river with no issues at all, never got it to WOT due to all the traffic but had it up around 4500 rpm with no isses. Ended up hitting a submerged log at about 18mph and bent the propeller.

No worries, replaced that with the same 13 1/4 x 17, took it out again last weekend and the thing maxed out at 3000 rpm and wouldn't go any higher. Sounds great, not bogging down, just won't go any faster.

Checked the throttle linkage and all is well, it opens all the way up without a problem.
Checked the fuel filter and it's clean as can be. (Replaced when I bought it).
3rd (lowest) spark plug is a bit fouled and has some oil on it.
1st (top) spark plug has a bit of oil but in good shape.

I will be replacing the spark plugs tomorrow but it seems there has to be something more wrong.

Does anyone have any other insight as to what could be wrong?

TLDR:
Engine was fine 2 weeks ago, now won't go above 3000rpm. Replaced prop with same specs as before, no other changes.

The rule is ----When you buy a used motor step #1 is a new impeller.-----The sparkplugs should look the same.----Agreed do a compression test.----Should be about 140 PSI on that motor.

Did you check the flywheel key?
The rule is ----When you buy a used motor step #1 is a new impeller.-----The sparkplugs should look the same.----Agreed do a compression test.----Should be about 140 PSI on that motor.

Great ideas, thank you! I have reason to believe that you may be correct with the flywheel key. I have ordered a puller and will be checking on this as soon as it arrives!

@racerone the compression is good and even at ~125 on all three.
Impeller is recent, and I will be changing the plugs as well and watching them closely!

Back