Logo

1978 Chrysler 360 250HP Wide Open Throttle Spec's

supervc

Hi Guys,
New to this forum and new to Chryslers in general. Wondering if you folks might know what the WOT spec for a 1978 250HP, 360CID engine would be with electronic ignition (stock). Also, timing spec would be appreciated and if any jumpers, etc... have to be done on the ignition module or any other "Chrysler tricks" need to be performed when setting timing, please let me know. Much thanks, Rob

Jeff,
WOT stands for Wide Open Throttle and is an extremely common expression for marine engines. All marine engines have this rating and it constitutes what the manufacturer feels the rpm should be under load with the proper propping. It's generally given as a range, for instance a Mercruiser small block is typically rated at 4200-4600rpm WOT. Not being familiar with Chrysler 360's in Marine ap's, I'm looking for someone who has that spec. I know the engine is rated at 250HP at 4,000 rpm's but that's not necessarily the spec for WOT because engines don't necessarily make Peak HP at WOT rpm's. Best, Rob

Also, timing spec would be appreciated and if any jumpers, etc... have to be done on the ignition module or any other "Chrysler tricks" need to be performed when setting timing, please let me know.
Rod, we've had quite a bit of trouble finding the Chrysler OEM ignition advance specs, other than BASE advance.
We can find BASE all day long, and several other odd specs, but nothing that confirms the progressive or TA and/or TA RPM.

Just make dang sure that you DO NOT use any Automotive ignition curve specs.

As for a "jumper" for "base mode", this is found on some of the EST systems. (EST = electronic spark timing)
Unless your ignition has been replaced with an EST, you won't need to worry about this.
Set BASE advance, then bring your RPM up to approx 3k rpm, and note where the spark lead is in degrees BTDC.

But again.... unless there's been an update here on ME.com, we've not been able to confirm any specs from Chrysler Marine Corp.

Jeff,
WOT stands for Wide Open Throttle and is an extremely common expression for marine engines. All marine engines have this rating and it constitutes what the manufacturer feels the rpm should be under load with the proper propping. It's generally given as a range, for instance a Mercruiser small block is typically rated at 4200-4600rpm WOT. Not being familiar with Chrysler 360's in Marine ap's, I'm looking for someone who has that spec. I know the engine is rated at 250HP at 4,000 rpm's but that's not necessarily the spec for WOT because engines don't necessarily make Peak HP at WOT rpm's. Best, Rob
Correct, and very well explained! :D

I'll add to this, if we're going to error, error on the side of a higher WOT rpm.

Last edited:
With the wrong props on mine, they tached out at 5,000 rpms (with stunning acceleration and horrendous gas mileage).

Jeff

Jeff,
;););););););)

Jeff got schooled

Back