Logo

1978-79 100hp Evinrude

Heeneytick

Hello All and bear with me here, new to all this. My father bought a 79 Glastron with a 100hp Evinrude years ago to fish with. Has sat in our cabin garage for at least 8 years. I bought it from him two weeks ago. Did the usual preliminary tests to make sure waterpump, plugs and everything else was working after sitting. New battery and fuel. Fired right up, set the low idle to where it should be as that had been the problem before storing.Last weekend put water to it again and was in hopes it would be on the water Sunday afternoon. Noticed some smoke in the throttle box and immediately shut it down. Pulled cover off and noticed a 2 wire diode had got hot. After we both have followed all the electric testing procedures in the Evinrude book we are stumped tracing all the way back to the motor.
Then it wouldn't start and noticed it had a blown 2 amp mini glass fuse on left side of the motor (After market)? Did several other tests and was not getting power back to ignition side of starter switch? 3 days of messing with it off and on and still no clue? Dad is an ex aircraft machinist/mechanic so figured I would try this site? Any and all help is greatly appreciated as we know something is blowing that little fuse but unsure of where to start other then the back of the engine forward to control box maybe? Begin with the main wiring harness plug?
Thanks!
Heeneytick:mad:

Blocking diode was used in Hydro-Electric models to prevent feedbak from the shift to the ignition switch. No Hydro-Electrics after 1972.

Correct. Was mistaken on the year of the motor. Was thinking it was the same as the hull. Thank you for correcting and any help is appreciated. Going back to start testing from the motor back this weekend from where the two wires go down into the motor to the shift solenoids

I believe the fuse should be 20 amp.------Motor has to turn to get oil pressure for shifting out of forward gear.-----If motor is not turnning it should be in FORWARD gear.

Was mistaken. Hull is a 79 and motor is definitely hydro electric. 8VA82 I believe is the number?

No, I've no idea what that pertains to. Did you check the plate attached to the port transom bracket?

If the engine is indeed a 100hp Evinrude, the model number should be one of these, ranging from 1966 thru 1972...... 100683, 100693, 100782, 100783, 100882, 100883, 100193, 100293.

Back