Logo

1978 35hp Johnson no spark

Boatrunner

I need help! I have no spark on my 78 35hp Johnson. I’ve replaced everything I could think of and still no spark.
Replaced keyway, flywheel, magneto, power pack, coils, and spark plugs. Still no spark! Could the timing be so far off that it could create this problem? A friend was jacking with (I guess) the timing screw near the bottom of the cowling. I can’t afford to loose any more hair, I’m practically bald already!🤷*♂️😂

<p>
When the flywheel spins around the components there will be spark-----Regardless of the timing.-----Perhaps check your ignition switch / kill circuit.-----And if your starter is bad the flywheel might not spin fast enuff to make spark. ----Load test your battery.</p>

Last edited:
<p>
When the flywheel spins around the components there will be spark-----Regardless of the timing.-----Perhaps check your ignition switch / kill circuit.-----And if your starter is bad the flywheel might not spin fast enuff to make spark. ----Load test your battery.</p>
Kill circuit checked out ok. Has brand new battery, also had charger on battery. Starter turns flywheel really good. I’m just baffled as heck. Didn’t even think about checking ignition switch, since it turns the motor over really strong.

Make sure your power pack and ignition coil ground wires are making good contact.The ground wires should have a star washer between them and the cylinder block.You said the kill circuit checked out,did you remove the black/yellow wire out of the connector and check for spark.Also try removing the spark plugs and crank the engine,if youhave spark then the starter isnt cranking the motor fast enough.Like racerone said its not that difficult.

Kind of points out a problem with "replacing everything". A faulty kill circuit can destroy a new power pack, just as it did the old one. Not that this is your problem, just sayin'.

Back