Logo

1977 mercury black max 175 hp not peeing well

E

ED smith

hello hope you can help. Ijus

hello hope you can help. Ijust got this boat and I took it out and it is not moving water out of the pee hole I took the hose off and it is clear. talked to the man that I got the boat from and he said that the impeller was changed 9\18\93 but the boat sat for 5 years(no use at all)do you think that the water pump is gone bad? and if so how hard is it to change? (boat moter challanged) please HELP.

" A new impeller is a given, i

" A new impeller is a given, it should be changed every two years regardless of use. "

" Ed, this year on my 82 150 i

" Ed, this year on my 82 150 i replaced thermostats, checked poppet valve,and water pump.Cooling water,and good fuel are a priority with me "

" Ed,

You should defini

" Ed,

You should definitly take a look at the impeller, but chances are, even if it could use replacement, that it would still pump some water. My guess would be that sometime in that 5 years bugs or corrosion/salt managed to clog up a passageway inside somewhere.

What I would do is, pull off the lower unit (get back to us if you need help with this), check the condition of the pump and pay special attention to the key positioning - be sure that the pump wasn't just sliding around the driveshaft. If all looks OK, with the lower unit off, hook up a hose to the tube that the water pump normally fits up to and see if you can get water flow through. That will tell you if it's clogged or not.

If that doesn't unclog it, try compressed air from the other direction; I've had luck clearing bugs with compressed air. If compressed air won't help, you may have to use wire to attempt to clear out the obstruction, just don't get the wire stuck in there. Tell us how it goes, Good luck,

Jon "

Back