Logo

1977 Evinrude v4 wont rev over 3700

gm guy 24

Hey guys i've got one serious problem motor.

It's a 77 evinrude 85 v4. In the latest development it now won't rev past 3700. This problem started as a strange surging issue at wide open throttle where the engine would hit 4500rpm drop to 3500 or so then back to 4500. In my latest attempt to fix the issue I installed a new old stock stator from a twin powerpack v6 that does work but now my max rpm is 3700. As soon as it hits 3700 with the throttle wide open it starts to sputter and wont go any higher. If i back off some it stabilizes at 3700 and stops misfiring.

Is my power pack bad too? Ive got 4 new coils, new rectifier, new plugs this spring, all contacts cleaned and grounds cleaned, carbs rebuilt and rechecked twice, new fuel pump, new fuel line and primer, new gas tank, and new reeds. compression was between 115 and 125 psi on all cylinders.

I checked the plugs after coming back and cylinders 1,2 and 3 looked about the same, with black somewhat oily carbon deposits on electrodes and insulator. The plug from cylinder 4 was much cleaner and looked more oily than carbon covered and the porcelain was a lot cleaner than the others.

There is no shop that will service this engine in my area. I'm on my own here and if i cant fix it then its probably not going to get fixed.

Okay i checked the spark and it was kinda weak. It would jump a 1/4 gap but i think that was my ill fitting spark tester.

power pack is getting 240v from the stator and coil 1, 2, and 3 are getting 190v on their primary side wire from the power pack. Cylinder 4 coil is only getting 170v from the powerpack. would this be low enough to cause my misfire? Timer base is putting out 1.2 volts on one coil and 1.5 volts on the other coil.

The plugs were done last spring but i went ahead and cleaned them anyway. The gas tank is only 3 months old and the fuel inside is even newer.

Last edited:
It could well be the power pack. First, the pros on here are going to want your compression numbers from EACH cylinder. next, test spark. With all plugs removed, spark MUST jump a 7/16" gap. Report back on what you find, and some of the more experienced guys will help you out.

Back