Logo

1977 Evinrude 85 hp again

J

John Horton

" Joe,

I looked on the port

" Joe,

I looked on the port side of the block and could not find any model numbers or serial numbers. The numbers on the transom are for a 75 hp 3 cylinder so they are no good. I saw all the parts on the motor have numbers cast in to them. When I go to get my parts, can I write down a couple of the numbers from some of those parts off the motor and have the parts store find out what model it is out of the three 85 hp motors built in 1977? And if so, which parts should I focus on specifically that are signature for only my model motor? Or are the parts interchangeable between the 3 motors?

Please help

John "

"John.... Casting numbers won&

"John.... Casting numbers won't do you much good as they will be used on a few other engines. There should be a plate on the port transom bracket (bkt that bolts to the boat) that has the model & serial number on it. The core plug on the top port side of the block will be under that bracket assy that the coils are attached to, and will be close to the cylinder head gasket area.

The numbers on the boat have absolutely nothing to do with the engine as far as determining what the engine is.

Joe
"

Back