Logo

1977 Chrysler 135HP Lock ring / Seal

Hello again,
I dropped the lower gearcase off my 135 and noticed there is a metal ring beneath the seal up near the splines where it goes into the powerhead. How does this come off so I can slide the water pump housing off the shaft to replace the impeller? I haven't tried to do anything yet as not to break it. Do I just tap on it upward with a screwdriver or punch or what? I am going to re-seal the gearcase and need to know how to remove this metal ring.

Thanks,
Nick

Just tap it.It should pop off.There should be a rubber boot that holds grease at the top of the shaft.Look up inside for this boot.It's about 1 and 1/2 in.long.You should try to find it.It keeps the grease on the shaft stopping corrosion.J

Ok I'll tap on it and see what happens. There is a rubber on top but no grease inside it nor dies it have a cup like feature unless it just came apart. So your saying this is supposed to hold grease somehow? The shaft itself is pretty rusty and i'm going to have to sand it down with emery cloth or something to make it smooth again before I put the new seal on it and impeller. This has been sitting since 1992 or a bit earlier so some things are to be expected. Luckily the engine has great compression thats even and it runs incredibly smooth for sitting all those years. I was told the man took care of his boat and always did what needed to be done. I never messed with anything but an Evinrude or Johnson so now I need to learn about these Chrysler engines. Only motor I ever saw with an inverted distributor on it thats for sure and belt driven at that so it's pretty cool actually. The day when the boat hits the water is a ways off as I have to repair the floor but I heard fiberglass is pretty easy to work with so I'll see what I can do with it. I'll have a nice vintage boat with a nice 135 on the back so it should run fairly well I'm hoping. Anyway thanks for all the info from my posts I appreciate it.

Nick

Always post pics when you can.It will insure were talking about the same thing.
Good luck on the floor.Always wear rubber gloves and long sleeves when working with fiberglass and fiberglass dust.
Oh yea a dust mask too.
Most librarys have manuals on these motors.J

Back