Logo

1977 140hp Evinrude

LV2BOAT

Hi all,

I am new to boating and have a few questions?? I have ordered a OEM shop manual for my motor and waiting for it to come in??? This is the story,

I just bought a project boat from a guy wanting to rebuild it?? I know I should never pick up someone elses project? but any way
I have a 1977 evinrude 140hp V4 X Flow. It is nothing but a block and parts?? It has new pistons and all new bearings. Looking at these pistons I have never seen anything like these?? They have a high side ( stair step)?? Like I said I do not have a book yet but?? Is that a intake and exhaust side?? How would these pistons go into the block?? The highside toward the inside or middle of the block or the outside of the block?? I can tell this is going to be a new experience. I have never rebuilt a 2 stroke much less a boat motor. I have rebuilt several cars motors.. but never seen pistons like this??
Any help would be great.

The sloping side goes to the exhaust ( inside of the block)----------------The hole in the connecting rod ( at the small end )faces --UP ------------------The pistons must be installed correctly, if you are unsure then work carefully and consult your factory manual.The joint on the block is a PRECISION surface and must be prepared for reassembly, absolutely clean with no burrs or high spots. There is no hammer required in this job.-------You will be successful in this venture.

Thanks for the info, the hole in the connecting rod must be for oiling. I am just looking at all the parts and waiting for my manual. I will take my time and see how it comes out.

Back