Logo

1976 Evinrude 25 Hp startup problems

Joepr

Hello guys,
Yesterday we we're starting up our outboard motor, a 1976 25 hp evinrude model.
We we're starting it up yesterday and it worked perfectly fine, it instantly fired up, no problems.
Today we tried it again, and it just wouldn't start. And when we looked in the bucket we had the engine hanging in (the boat wasnt in the water) we saw what looked to be alot of oil leaking from it. It all came from a hole on the opposite side of the propeller (image attached with box pointing at what I mean)
Everytime we tried stareting it up it sounded like it was about to fire up and then it wouldnt go on and stopped.

It looked like oil that came out and something else, some weird gooey stuff
Does anyone here have any idea what It could be? I tried looking up some other things but didn't really get it.

Attachments

• evinrude.png
    evinrude.png
    251.7 KB · Views: 28
That is NOT a 1976 model motor-----Post your model # and pictures of power head with cowling off.----Looks more like a 79 model.

That is NOT a 1976 model motor-----Post your model # and pictures of power head with cowling off.----Looks more like a 1980 model.

Nope----That is not an EVINRUDE model # ------A serial # yes.----Your motor appears to be a 1980 model to me.----Perhaps you do not want to believe that ??

I don't really mind what year it is as long as it works, haha.
I totally believe you, I'm just trying to find a troubleshoot to why it could be.

Once again ---That question is asked about once a week on here.----Totally NORMAL for that gooey stuff to leak out of a 2 stroke engine when testing in a barrel.

I'm sorry, I couldn't really find it tbh.
How could I get rid of that then or could you link me a post how to fix it.
And is that also the reason why It won't start anymore?

Sorry--I am not there to see , feel or hear your motor.---Up to you to do some trouble shooting for the no start condition.----Spark / fuel / compression.----And no you can not entirely eliminate the gooey stuff.

They ended up just being wet spark plugs, I don’t know anything about boats so was hard for me to discover, hah.
But I dried them up put them back in and the engine instantly started. The day after I tried again and they were fully wet again, am I doing something wrong?

Back