Logo

1976 Evinrude 115hp Starflite

ridehardhd2006

Lower Unit possibly!!! Okay here goes, I feel it is something simple that i may overlook not knowing alot about the lower units. So motor and lu ran fine about a week ago, before taking it out sunday i checked the lu oil and topped off to be sure it was good to go, then turned it over to be sure all was good motor turned hard at first but then loosened up gradually (did not run it!!!) Took to the river and dropped it in started motor lil sluggish runnin at first wich i am used to but idled out fine once warmed up, okay heres where i am unsure if its something simple or complex.... After releasing into the water I found to have no forward or reverse gears, water ran through fine, exhaust was fine, pulled up on the motor slighty (not outta water) to check for prop rotation in either direction and none to be had. Was unsure that toping off the lu was a possible cause of this problem such as overfill or something along those lines, not wanting to tear into this if I dont have too, i do have the service manual so i can locate and understand parts and service, any possible checks and rechecks would be helpfull. Was a car mechanic for several years so I know the troubleshooting method just want to be sure of the possible causes, someone did mention a shearpin, also did take the prop off after pulling out of the water and the shaft spins freely wheather it is in or out of gear, not sure if that helps......... Thanks RH2006

Last edited:
Re: 1976 Evinrude 115 Starflite

Is the shift linkage OK? Not to be a smart a** but that's the first thing I'd look at. Disconnect the linkage and manually shift the engine in/out of forward & reverse. Turn the flywheel clockwise and observe the prop. If it turns as it should you have a linkage problem. Topping off the oil would not cause harm to the lower unit.

Back