Logo

1975 Johnson 115 won’t start after overheating

Mikk Wardwell

The other night, while steaming home after an evening of bass fishing, my 1975 Johnson 115hp started losing power and then shut off…..went from about 40 knots, to 5 knots, to dead in the water within about 7-10 seconds. As I started back toward the motor to see what happened I could see a buncha steam and hear water boiling. So I pulled off the cowling, to help it cool down, and finished the trip to the dock with my trolling motor. Back at the dock I tried starting up the 115 to check the telltale but it wouldn’t fire. The next day I changed the impeller/housing and the lower unit oil and took it back to the lake for a test run but, again, it wouldn’t even begin to fire. Checked all connections n found a small 30a fuse that was blown. Still wouldn’t fire. Used a multimeter and found appropriate readings from the starter all the way to the coils, but no spark from the plugs. Btw, I also changed the plugs when I did the impeller and lower unit. Any ideas on where to go from here? Thank you, in advance, and happy boating!

Ok, so I bought a compression tester….also, boobie, there’s absolutely no spark from any plug…and it’s not reading any compression whatsoever. Yet, I can feel it trying to push my finger off the cylinder. I didn’t even remember I still had it but, while looking in the basement for something completely unrelated, I found that I own a Clymer Evinrude/Johnson outboard shop manual for ‘73-‘90, 48-235hp. I started doing some ignition tests and everything is good up to and including the safety switch.

Update and more questions: I ended up finding a really good deal on a newer 115….the guy said it was an ‘88 or ‘89….that allegedly needed only a prop and a solenoid. Being that I had several props and my older motor to scavenge parts form, I bought it. Got it home and started looking into exactly what I had. Turns out it’s a 1988 Johnson 88hp with V-4 115hp cowling. Whatever, a lot of the parts are interchangeable. Ended up needing the solenoid and starter from my old 115hp. Nbd. Then I try the prop. For some reason the 88hp has a 15 spline, though everything I’ve read says it should be a 13 spline like my 115 has. My question; can I use the shaft from my 1975 115hp on my 1988 88hp, so I can use 1 of my props? Or do I need a new prop? If I need a new prop, what size and pitch should I get? I usually run wide open, since when I get to where I’m going I use my elec trolling motor, and I occasionally pull my kids on a tube. Never do I troll and rarely do I run at low speeds.

Back