Logo

1975 evinrude 115hp idle and timing

Malina26

I really need some info . I cant get my motor to idle right or get the timing right. If you are looking down at the timing with a light my mark is about an inch off of where it should be. I have replaced coils, plugs, rebuilt carbs, I guess I just dont understand what sets the timing. I know wide-open throttle timing is that lever under the flywheel. I have a manual but..... And I checked compression its ok. I just dont see a idle adjustment or an timing adjustment

Fact.----You only set maximum timing advance.-----Set with the screw with black rubber stopper.-----Believe it or not idle timing looks after itself.-----Idle timing is actually the point where throttle plates open up.----And compression is " ok " means nothing.---What are the values for each cylinder ?-----Checked the reed valves ? ----Checked for strong spark ( 7/16" air gap ) on each lead.----Checked flywheel key ?----Checked fuel pump diaphragm ?

Fact.----You only set maximum timing advance.-----Set with the screw with black rubber stopper.-----Believe it or not idle timing looks after itself.-----Idle timing is actually the point where throttle plates open up.----And compression is " ok " means nothing.---What are the values for each cylinder ?-----Checked the reed valves ? ----Checked for strong spark ( 7/16" air gap ) on each lead.----Checked flywheel key ?----Checked fuel pump diaphragm ?

Cylinder 1 is 105 cylinder 2 100 cylinder 3 110 cylinder 4 100. I bought the tool to test the spark and its a blue spark but not the "snap"sound people talk about. Flywheel key I checked , new fuel pump, but how do I check the reeds?

Thank you very much about the idle timing that has been driving me nuts, so now I know its either fuel or the reeds

Your compression numbers are not encouraging.----I would remove bypass covers and look at pistons / rings.------Six bolts each and 4 new simple gaskets at $ 3.00 each.

Back