Logo

1975 Chrysler 15 hp 154 HB electric start, engine tilt up assembly

John Hoover

I have had this boat and engine for about 4 years or so and it runs fine. On my last outing the starboard bolt which acts as the pivot for tilting up and also hold the mounting on broke. Does anyone have experience with something similar? Both ends are threaded and capped with acorn nuts. I have not been able to find an online diagram to see if that is a removable bold or was cast into the steering pivot onto which the mounting brackets are bolted.

you sure its not a 1976?
No, I am not sure. It was sold to me as a 1974. I did not question that but when I started looking for manufacturer's plate, I found one with the 154 HB on it with 1536 on the line below. The online source I found said that it was 1975 but I am not sure.

Thats a 75 but they don't list a parts diagram for it that I could find???
A picture would really help.
That actually sounds like an add on someone used when the pin went missing??

I will try to attach a photo which gives context. A threaded stud broke off. I would like to know if the stud was cast into the aluminum steering pivot or screwed in. If it is the latter I can probably remove it with a way out and a heat gun. If the stud was cast in I have larger problems. This forum app does not seem to want to take my photo Perhaps it is too dense. I may be able to make the photo less dense.

I will try to attach a photo which gives context. A threaded stud broke off. I would like to know if the stud was cast into the aluminum steering pivot or screwed in. If it is the latter I can probably remove it with a way out and a heat gun. If the stud was cast in I have larger problems. This forum app does not seem to want to take my photo Perhaps it is too dense. I may be able to make the photo less dense.
An easy out not a way out.

This is an overview. Problem broken stud which held starboard transom clamp to the steering pivot assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_5276.jpg
    IMG_5276.jpg
    613.4 KB · Views: 3
PB Blaster and heat.
Spray the PB and use a propane torch and try to back it out.
Pic #3 that shows a broken bolt in an alignment pin.
Again PB and heat.
Then try an easy out. Going bigger as you go along.

Back