Logo

1974 Johnson 6 hp carb

nytebyte

Regular Contributor
I picked up a old 1974 6 hp Johnson and one of the little lead shot fillers is missing from the carb. The price of them is ridiculous! Any reason that one cant be made from a pellet or shot from my reloading supplies or is it actually something special?

The manufacturer I get bulk shotgun pellets from, ( I believe it’s the only remaining shot tower in Canada), ads a few % antimony to the molten lead before pouring. The Boss told me it was to harden the pellets, which results in less deformation, & pellets that fly truer.
Fishing sinkers are pure lead, & softer. Back when we used to cast bullets for muzzleloaders, we used the fingernail, or pencil test. If you can scratch it with a fingernail, or a sharpened 6B pencil, it was pure lead.
The difference between pure & alloyed lead can be quite noticeable, with Brinell hardness ratings from 5-22.
I don’t know if the hardened shotgun pellets would result in cracking a casting when driven in, & would therefore default to using a screw, or fish sinker, as mentioned above.

Racer-the only thing I have to go on is the parts diagram on this site. It shows as 4 required, On the top by the expansion plug there is one right behind it and that one has the shot in it but the one right alongside it but a little lower is the open hole. Thats where I seem to be missing one?

Back