Logo

1974 Evinrude 25HP 25402M Carb/Fuel/Full Throttle Issues

floridaman

I have a 1974 Evinrude 25hp 2540M Outboard Motor. The motor was completely gone through/rebuilt 2 years ago.

It ran great for 8-10 trips after I first got it from my father in law, but did not like to idle at low speed.

I got the boat off the trailer and was headed out to go fishing and the boat would not start. I cranked on it for an hour+. Got it back to the house and we determined it was not getting fuel. I proceeded to take apart the carb and find out what the issue was. I found that the float needle did not have a return spring installed when my father in law rebuild the motor. This was causing the needle to get stuck and not allow fuel into the carb. I replaced the float needle with a new one in the kit and then we put everything back together and began to run the motor in a trashcan. We adjusted everything and got the motor to purr at idle and it ran fine in gear in the bucket.

Fast forward to yesterday- I got the boat out in the water and it started great/idled great. I put the motor in gear and then it hesitated and would rev up to full rpm for 3-5 seconds then back down to idle speed. It did this multiple times but never would consistently get up to full speed. I adjusted the low speed adjustment and could not find the sweet spot.

Is there something I am missing here? It appears that fuel isn't an issue, could it be the points? Could it be the spark plugs? Coils?

For reference, I replaced the spark plugs with the brand new NGK 3710 plugs

When we were working on the motor, the top coil wire came loose and we reinstalled. Didn't appear to be an issue but not sure if that could cause the hesitation/no full throttle issue.

This is all I can say I've done. The low speed idle adjustment seems to affect it but I can't seem to find the sweet spot where the hesitation is overcome. It either bogs down and runs only at idle speed, or it hesitates depending on the rich/lean adjustment.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm losing my mind trying to get this thing lined out!

One cylinder is cutting in and out. You wrote "When we were working on the motor, the top coil wire came loose and we reinstalled. Didn't appear to be an issue but not sure if that could cause the hesitation/no full throttle issue." That is an immediate suspect.

Back