Logo

1973 Johnson 25 hp 25E73A running issue

UltraLite

Have an intermittent running issue. Going behind somebody. Trying to figure out all that has been done and reversing the wrongs.
Things i have corrected:
New carb kit. The carb was initially missing the center gasket. Ran it through my ultrasonic and good there. Float level and everything.
NGK BR6S plugs installed. Someone had put B8S plugs in it.
Gapped the points and polished them. (closing them on a dollar bill and pulling it out) Gapped them to 0.020 both points were between 0.002-0.004 too tight.
Compression 125 on both.
Clean fuel sample
Customer put 2 new coils on before bringing it to me.
Checked linkage and it is correct per link and sync for this model.
Initially, i couldnt adjust the lean sneeze out of it, and it did finally line out for me. It was idling in gear like a 2 stroke sewing machine. Got it off the trailer and took off. Ran good momentarily and had to kindly feather the the throttle to reach max speed. Coming back down to an idle, began to lean sneeze a couple times and then lean sneeze and die. Couldnt adjust it out even though it seemed right before. I pumped the primer bulb while running and it didnt make a difference. Someone has installed a new fuel pump on it. It appears to be the correct one. The square, 2 cylinder fuel pump. Going to get my CDI book out and see what readings i should be looking for on the coil under the flywheel. Brain storm with me here lol what am i missing?

Sounds like you know what you are doing. Just for laughs, I think I would temporarily hook up a fuel pressure gauge at the carburetor inlet and see what it says when it apparently runs out of gas.

Sounds like you know what you are doing. Just for laughs, I think I would temporarily hook up a fuel pressure gauge at the carburetor inlet and see what it says when it apparently runs out of gas.
Wonder what ideal pressure is? 2-3psi? obviously if it drops out when it dies that is an issue. Never have put a fuel pressure gauge in line with a low pressure lift pump. Thank you for that bit of info. I will hook it up and see

Could it be possible you got contaminated fuel from an old hose....bulb, or tank? Messed up filter in fuel pump?

Could it be possible you got contaminated fuel from an old hose....bulb, or tank? Messed up filter in fuel pump? This can happen more often than you think. Also some of these laminated gray plastic hoses can peel the inside coating and plug off at the coupling going to your motor. They cannot be trusted even the hose made in Canada. I have been stung by this up in the bush a couple times and now all my camp, and customers motors, get real high quality rubber hoses.

IMG_20201108_214815108_compress64.jpg

Back