Logo

1972 Johnson 2 hp piston install

grumpp

This one has me baffled. The lower connecting rod end and cap is larger than the bore diameter preventing installation from the top. I have never seen a piston that you have to install from the bottom? Nothing looks distorted or bearing damage. i had to remove piston assembly from the bottom. Look like more material than you could just grind off to make it work? does this piston install from bottom? need guidance
thank you

Yes !-----You push it through from bottom.-----Have not done one in a while.------Mercury outboards were built with no cylinder head from the early 1950's to well into the 2000 model years.----Pistons all went in from the bottom !

I got it thanks for the help.
I'm installing new liners and needle bearing. The upgraded part# is 396068 and only has one liner with oil hole where the old liners both had a oil hole in center. I'm assuming the oil hole goes to the connecting rod side oil hole?? Oil hole on top side of rod andwould flow down connecting rod and into bearing liner and then into needle bearings. Bottom rod cap no hole???
thanks

Insert piston from crankcase side without rings.​ Push piston up till ring grooves come out top end. Install rings to piston. Now push piston and rings down into cylinder.

Back