Logo

1972 318 Chrysler--recent rebuild overheating while underway and not at dock

Good day:

Just had my 318 RWC motor rebuilt. Transmission Cooler cleaned. Runs great at dock--high rev. etc. NO overheating--stays below 175 degrees. I have a 160 degree thermostat. When I leave dock motor quickly heats up to over 200 degrees. Shut down motor rechecked impellers and they are fine. Port riser very hot--Starboard cool. Checked intake scoop and it is clean. Going to use gun next and try to locate high temps. Going to recheck thermostat. Any other suggestions? How do I know it is not block or head gasket? Thanks.

..."I have a 160 degree thermostat."

Whoa! That's the wrong one. RWC uses a 140 stat. (The 160 is for closed FWC systems.)

Suggest you look for air leaks BEFORE the RW pump. That'll do this nonsense every time.

On the hot/ cold risers, the one running hot is partially plugged where the water and exhaust finally meet. You can fix this by reaming out the holes with a piece of straight coat hanger in a drill.

Jeff

..."I have a 160 degree thermostat."

Whoa! That's the wrong one. RWC uses a 140 stat. (The 160 is for closed FWC systems.)

Suggest you look for air leaks BEFORE the RW pump. That'll do this nonsense every time.

On the hot/ cold risers, the one running hot is partially plugged where the water and exhaust finally meet. You can fix this by reaming out the holes with a piece of straight coat hanger in a drill.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply. Any thoughts on why problem only exists when underway and not at dock

Maybe get a gallon of saltaway and fill up a garbage can and run a hose from your raw water pump to the bottom of the can. start it and pour the gallon of saltaway in and just run the can close to empty then put the garden hose in and flush the engine out good. Just a thought! You could also do that just to see if the problem is on the suction side or the engine side of the raw water pump. Is the oil cooler on the suction side?

I'm located in fresh water (RWC). Bypassed sea strainer still no luck. I posted a request for a pump diagram but I was careful to re-install. I hope to use heat gun today. Can't seem to find Sherwood D60 dual impeller pump diagram online. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thank you everyone for all the kind help. Great site here. It was a clogged oil cooler. I thought it was adequately flushed but it was not. Finally going boating!!! Thanks again

I realize this is a little late but it may help you in the future.

Attachments

• Twin pocket cooling loop.jpg
    Twin pocket cooling loop.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 87
Back