Logo

1972 20HP and 25HP Johnson models

shinola

Contributing Member
I ran across a nice freshwater Johnson, 20 HP, 1972, model 20R72R. It appears to me that Johnson had a 20 and 25 HP model that year and Evinrude only sold the 25. From the parts list book I picked up from Ebay, I can't find the difference between the 20 and 25HP Johnson models. Can anyone tell me what the difference was? I assumed it was like the 80's 9.9 and 15 that I think only differed in the carb, but that even appears by the parts list to be the same for both.

Another mystery is that the powerhead on this one is painted in an Evinrude blue color and not the Johnson green from that year. Good compression though, so I think this will be a great project (when I get to it).

thanks.

Nope they both marketed the 25 HP version.-----The crankshaft on the 25 was different.----Had weights in the assembly and was balanced for the higher RPM power rating.----Plus a few other differences.---Like the pistons.----There was more to it then bolting on a carburetor.----These " tall tale " carburetor stories will never go away !

I see 25HP on both lists, just not the 20HP version on the Evinrude list. As for tall tales', is it at least true on the ~80's model 9.9 and 15, or were there more differences than the carb?

Yes there is more to it than just swapping the carburetor.----I am sure you know about------leroysramblings----Lots of good information for you to learn.

Racer, I did not know about that site, but found it easily. Looks like I have a reading assignment. Thanks as always.

Back