Logo

1971 johnson evinrude 85 hp

ufownage

Toubleshooting no spark was wondering if anyone knew what the ohms should be from the stator or now where I could find that info.

Ran great all week.... now she wont start. Tested inline spark to plug. no spark. So im working my way from the stator up.

thanks!!

Model # of your motor?----Stator has nothing to do with spark on that motor.----Just charges the battery.--------Remove flywheel and inspect / set breaker points , clean rotor . clean distributor cap.----Check anti-reversing spring.

Not to be "that guy" or point out the obvious, but......Did you check the simple things first? Loosing spark completely at all cylinders at one time is kind of a rare thing. The simple things to check would be Making sure your neutral safety is not malfunctioning. Do you have a man overboard switch? Is it malfunctioning? Is the boat in neutral? All of these items are designed to kill spark. I know they seem obvious but I have seen stranger things.

im back to the fuel. im getting spark after i put a tester on it. I ran it almost out of gasthe day before it quit. So im gonna pull thr carb and clean it.

On a 1971 model 85 HP the safety switch has nothing to do with spark.-----The safety switch prevents cranking if throttle is open too far.----And the I believe 71 model remote control allowed cranking when it was in gear.

Last edited:
can someone take me through the ignition on this motor. Iv got spark off the coil but no spark on the plugs??? The stator only charges does not create spark from the initial reply. and my stator looks fantastic. How do I test the distributer and wires?

Tell us exactly how you determined you have spark off the coil. From there it goes to the distributor, rotor and plugs. Not much to go wrong there except cracks, carbon tracks, open or arcing wires, etc. Having said that, while that distributor was state of the art in 1971, it actually was pretty sorry in my book. But they do work if everything else is up to snuff.

Yes, the stator only charges the battery. Needless to say, the battery needs to be good in order to power the ignition.

battery is good. I am using an inline tester. pretty simple. 1 end on the wire the other on male end of the plug or coil. I see sparks off the coil but none off the plugs. In case i wasnt seeing I also sprayed started fluid into the carb with no luck on fire. Just the other day was running great. I was also getting .26 ohms off the coil with my meter set at 20k. Is there a way to check my amplifier also?

Oh well----I used to test these rotors and caps with a MERC-O-TRONIC ---analyzer.-----Now I say , just install a new cap and rotor.----Run this motor for a few more years.-----Or just buy a new motor like everyone else.

im not getting any redistance through distributer cap. im set on 200 ohms then 2k then 20k no changes. i am resting by placing a probe in 1 wire place then another. Is this a bad cap or am I trsting wrong?

Looking at a rotor ( new ) and cap right here where I sit.-----Find the contact point inside the cap from where the coil input is.----Should show ZERO resistance.----Find contacts inside the cap for each cylinder and they will each show ZERO resistance.-----It is possible that rotor is shorted to ground.

Curious, isn't that motor too old to be trusted? If not, then, when is an engine too old? . Maybe it is time to consign it to the antique store ?

no way my friend. feels great to pull up to a town dock with this baby. great convo piece. Also I have learned so much with this motor. priceless :)

Try Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. Call 318 682 2331. Talk to Callie, Teresa, Mike, or Dan. Tell em Tim sent ya.... That's if Racer can't help ya.

P. S. Old stuff is pretty cool, cheap, fun to work on, easy to fix, and dependable....if you are a good FIXER!

Last edited:
Thanks Tim. Im in Swansnoro NC. Im going to regap my points. One of the points are touching. build some new spark plug wires then put this thing back together and try it. If that doesnt fix it..... ill be on a mission to find a cap. im not sure what the pointsxare sipposed to look like but ill give them a little file too.

Nice area. Worked in Charleston on some Navy Vessels in the Cooper River. Really love that area, great fishing too.
They can ship the part to you in a couple days. Check the points for any resistance once you have them cleaned up. Of course there can be only a slight amount of filing done. I take them apart and use a carborundum wet stone and a little lite oil. Take off just barely enough to get perfect continuity.

Back