Logo

1969 Johnson Part Needed

mazdog

Hey everyone
I have an 69 Johnson 33HP outboard and in need of a cylinder head. (electric start)
I found the owners before me stripped out the threads for the spark plugs. (probably tried top change them while the motor was hot and aluminum doesn't like that)

If you have one please let me know.

I'm back. Not sure if I have one, but will look for you today. Would you consider installing new inserts? You can do a great job especially with the head off and on the workbench.

Thanks for the response and looking for the head.

Well when I bought it, I didn't ever think to check to see if the plug holes were stripped out. I ran it and it seemed under power, so I cleaned the carb and went to put new plugs in it and that is when I discovered the stripped hole (bottom plug)

I took the head off and took to a local machine shop.
I wanted to weld the holes closed and then have them tap new holes for me to make sure they were centered.
Long story short, they put inserts in and now both holes leak and I just don't think they can do anything about it.
I haven't chatted with them just yet as I wanted to see if i could get a good replacement.

I used up two new gaskets and don't want to put two news in for a "tried to fix" situation.

Back