Logo

1969 Johnson 40hr eletramatic motor

roburke25

I know nothing about these motors, the Shifter box it came with is an eletramatic with a red lever that is busted, I assume this is the throttle? I am wondering if the shifter can be replaced with something newer? I also dont know what eletramatic means?? I've done a little research and not sure if it is electric shift? Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Blue star 1.jpg
    Blue star 1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 2
  • blue star 2.jpg
    blue star 2.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 2
Electromatic means electric shift. The red lever allows you to give it a little bit of throttle to start and warm up the motor without putting it in gear.

Electromatic means electric shift. The red lever allows you to give it a little bit of throttle to start and warm up the motor without putting it in gear.
Thank you. Do you know if the whole shifter can be replaced with something newer??? This one is pretty trashed. Oh I was also going to ask if the red throttle lever is supposed to hooked to something?

Last year for the electric shift was 1970 for the 2 cylinder 40 HP.----There are no newer controls that are a direct fit.-----Time to read up on this motor.----Do not spend any beer tokens until you have done a complete evaluation of this motor.-----Is the belt driven generator there ?---Voltage regulator ?

Last year for the electric shift was 1970 for the 2 cylinder 40 HP.----There are no newer controls that are a direct fit.-----Time to read up on this motor.----Do not spend any beer tokens until you have done a complete evaluation of this motor.-----Is the belt driven generator there ?---Voltage regulator ?
Yes its all there and I brought this about a week ago and the guy showed me a video of it starting and running a year ago still on the boat which I have too. I did drain the lower end oil and it is grey milky color, also looks like the mount for the solenoid is broken and has been JB welded. Not really holding out a lot of hope for this motor. I have not tried starting it because the shifter is busted, But dont want to but a shifter if the motor is a loss.

Back