Logo

1969 Johnson 40 hp, Electric shift

toddjinx

Im having a problem when i run it wide open sometimes it will automatically shift into neutral and the motor will rev up wide open. It doesnt do it all the time just every once in awile. Other than that it runs great. I can run it 3 or 4 days here and there and it does fine then all of the sudden out of no where it will shift into neutral. Cant figure out what maybe causing this. Any help would be appreciated. Tks.

I live in Mississippi, you mentioned a clutch spring. Do you happen to have a picture or how I can get that part you are talking about that you made yourself? I thank you for helping me.

Sorry----Find a local shop to help you diagnose this simple ( to me ) shift system.----Your answer in post # 3 suggest that I do not know how these things work.---Sorry.

I was not saying that at all. You told me exactly how to install the water pump all the way down to the correct amount of bolts. Im just trying to learn and I know you know what you are talking about. Please help me with this issue. Im the one who is ignorant on the motor. Sure as heck aint you. Please help. Ill pay you for that part if youll help me. Like I said. Im just trying to learn. Tks!

If you thought that I apologize, I didnt mean it that way. No one around here at the boat shops will look at this motor on account of its so old racerone. I couldnt even get them to even look at and try to put the water pump in. Had it not been for you I wouldnt have ever attempted it myself and I appreciate you for helping me on that, I really do. WIll you please please help me with this? Id like to take my old man fishing but gotta get this fixed first. Please help. Thanks!

Back