Logo

1969 Evinrude 85 HP outboard Reverse Issue.

John Fisher

I have a 1969 Evinrude 85 HP with Selectric shift. The motor works great and has plenty of power in forward gear. However, when I select reverse, It works until I get a little above idle. After that it sounds like the gears are not making contact fully and grinds or rattles rather than grind. There is no reverse power at all above idle speed. I tested it out of the water and it goes into reverse and the prop spins fine even above idle, but under load it will not work properly. I recently changed the lower unit oil thinking that was the problem. When I changed the oil there seemed to be water in it. I still have this problem though. Any help would be appreciated and tips on a starting point. Thanks.

J

Common problem.------------Many people insist on using reverse as a " brake "-----------------Prop will be spinning in forward and then reverse is selected and that is hard on clutch dog edges-------------Typically the edges on reverse gear and the dog are worn( rounded off ).---------------The hydraulic pressure has to be highest in order to move the shift piston into reverse.------------So if filter screen is plugged , oil pump damaged or shift piston bore damaged then reverse suffers.-------------Forward gear does not require oil pressure and it is a strong spring that keeps it in forward.-------------------Most shops will not repair them anymore.--------------They normally are very good and reliable and easy to repair, if you can find the repair person and the parts. $$$$$ required too for the parts.-------------If you are handy with a dremel you can fix this.

No spring involved with reverse other than the one that works against the oil pressure.---------Oil pressure holds it in reverse and if there is too much water , plugged screen etc, you do not get the required oil pressure.--------------Edges will be worn round on the reverse side of the clutch dog, and on reverse gear.----------shop.evinrude.com ----------for pretty pictures , prices and availability of parts.-----------You should install a seal kit at any rate to prevent a " dynamic halt " of the motor and lower unit.-------------The price of new parts will influence the repair method, dremel, or complete used lower unit ( need a warranty ) or donor motor with all the goodies.

Last edited:
Back