Logo

1968 Evinrude 40 hp shifting/gear questions

maxcobb22

I am working on repairing this engine (model 40853C), I can't get the shifter lever to even budge. Is it even possible to shift when the engine is off, or is it more likely something somewhere is seized? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Remove the lower unit to isolate the problem. OR simply disconnect the shift rod coupling behind the access plates. Lower unit might be full of rust. OR shifter lever might be seized where it goes through the cowling. OR shifter shaft might be seized where it goes through the midsection housing.

I Removed the lower unit, and I am able to move the shift rod on the lower unit by hand. However the shift lever is still not moving. So that leads me to believe it is seized up near the lever itself. Just gotta figure out how to remove that now to check it out.
Remove the lower unit to isolate the problem. OR simply disconnect the shift rod coupling behind the access plates. Lower unit might be full of rust. OR shifter lever might be seized where it goes through the cowling. OR shifter shaft might be seized where it goes through the midsection housing.

See post #3. Is there any jiggle at all at the shifter lever? If not, that likely is where it is seized. But if no jiggle at all, it probably is seized there the shaft goes through the housing. If the second is true, it is a pretty big job, requiring removing the whole assembly from the motor mounts/cowling shell. See parts breakdown on this website.

It has no jiggle at all. Would the power head have to be removed to get to all this?
See post #3. Is there any jiggle at all at the shifter lever? If not, that likely is where it is seized. But if no jiggle at all, it probably is seized there the shaft goes through the housing. If the second is true, it is a pretty big job, requiring removing the whole assembly from the motor mounts/cowling shell. See parts breakdown on this website.

IF our diagnosis from afar is correct, #30 would be the culprit. #17 C-ring holds it in. Powerhead removal is not necessary for this part, but it is somewhat of a PITA to access

Attachments

• 40 shifter.jpg
    40 shifter.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 7
# 31 shift shaft through #7 are the other parts I suggested. #18 clevis might be broken is another possibility. Powerhead removal is necessary to inspect any of it. #18 can be replaced without removing #7, but #7 must be removed from the outer shell to replace #31.

These motors were OMC's bread and butter in their day and thousands of them were made. I'd say half of them got used in salt water and probably half of those were in Florida. So, there isn't much in them that I haven't dealt with.

Attachments

• 40 exh hsg.jpg
    40 exh hsg.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 5
I was able to get it to move by heating, spraying pb blaster, and removing the handle, putting the screws back and using a long screw driver to get more leverage. And I watched the upper shift rod move with it. So I’m thinking now just gotta keep working it and lubricating it, and eventually she’ll start to loosen up.

And I rescued this motor from the woods of northern Maine, so I don’t think it ever saw salt water. Just a lot of winters outside.

Back