Logo

1968 9.5- water in bottom cylinder

After chasing my tail on this motor I went to pull the brand new plugs and the bottom one was milky as could be, pulled the head and there was a fair bit of watery oil in the cylinder, head gasket looked to be in decent shape, head has a tiny bit of a wobble when put on a piece of glass, how would I know if the headgasket leaks or if the water is somehow coming from the exhaust cover? And would it be a seal if it was coming from the exhaust and if so which one? Model number MQ-14E, thank you.

Welcome to the forum.
Rarely the exhaust cover on these. Can you surface the head? Use a good strong glass, or section of countertop and start with 120 wet/dry paper lubed with soapy water. Finish with figure 8 pattern on about 240 to 280 grit....soapy water. LIGHTLY anti-seize cleaned up head bolts and torque to specs. Is it a saltwater motor? Then more likely exhaust cover.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
Rarely the exhaust cover on these. Can you surface the head? Use a good strong glass, or section of countertop and start with 120 wet/dry paper lubed with soapy water. Finish with figure 8 pattern on about 240 to 280 grit....soapy water. LIGHTLY anti-seize cleaned up head bolts and torque to specs. Is it a saltwater motor? Then more likely exhaust cover.
I'm going to attempt to resurface the head today, I will also try to get some pics posted if it will let me, I will probably just replace both gaskets and if that don't fix it than I don't know what else to do

Back