Logo

1967 Evinrude Sport four 60 HP Issue

vettedude

Folks,
I just bought a boat with the above motor on it. It would not start unless either gas or starter fluid was put down the carbs. Once that was done it would start and run until it ran out of the dumped in gas. First thing I did was remove the electric fuel pump that someone put on the boat (it was from a compressor) and rebuilt and replumbed the mechanical pump and added the ball pump style hose. Still no luck. Ball primes fine and pumps gas into glass reservoir on fuel pump but nothing. Next I pulled off the pump output line going to the carbs and other then a first squirt after pumping nothing comes out of the line. Next I removed the "vacuum" line and verified it has good strong pulses coming from the crank and it was good.

Any ideas of what to do next? I put the pump back together as it came apart but with the new pieces. Anything special to look for when I tear the pump back apart? Any other ideas what might be wrong? We have company coming this weekend so kinda a rush to get this done and back in the water (I know rush with old outboards is never good).
Thanks,
Clint

Back