Logo

1966 merc 950 no spark

Shawn-merc950

I have a 1966 merc 950 and have no spark I identified one of the problems as the distributor.. Although I am unsure as to what else may cause this as well... Any thoughts?

Do you have any more history on this motor? When was it last run? Any other work done recently? Possibly broken wires. What makes you suspect the distributor?

I have had the crank replaced points replaced. I rebuilt the fuel pumps. Cleaned the carbs.. And I suspect the distributor cap and spark plug wires because when I removed the cap the center wire coming from coil broke.. All the wires were corroded and froze on there so bad that they broke with the littlest amount of pressure.. I also have ohmed all the wires and they all check out good... I do of course have wires with cracked or missing insulation.. These my brother and I will patch until I can buy the new wiring harness.. The last time it ran was 2 weeks ago Friday.. Was running good finally let it sit for 5 hrs and then had no spark.. Only thing that is a noticeable problem is the distributor cap...

Crank replaced? What crank? The main engine crankshaft or do you mean starter motor?

Do you have the correct factory service manual? Not Clymer or Seloc. You do understand that the spark plug wires screw into the cap? Not just push in. The distributor cap is probably good unless it's cracked or broken. Not cheap to replace. ($160) The spark plug wires are copper core. Do not use carbon wires, they will not work. Did you replace the points? Were they set, per factory specs, with a degree plate? This is a highly technical, finely tuned machine. Not just a flathead 6 tractor engine. If you don't understand the intricacy's of this motor and are unwilling to learn them, I suggest you leave it alone. You will do more damage than good. If you insist to continue, buy and study the FACTORY service manual. It will be the best investment you can make for this motor

Well lets see the points and crank were done by a boat shop who specialized in old merc motors.. and the cap does have a crack plus the posts inside the cap are wore down very badly.. I understand how much it cost. as to if I have a factory manual it is on its way in the mail right now been waiting for over a week for it now... I understand a hell of a lot more about mechanic work than the average guy.. I have been working on my motor for over 2 and a half years now and had it running good.. Now that I am out of college for the summer I am going to get a full time job save the money buy the distributor cap wires and both wiring harnesses.. Yes I know it is pricey but it is MY boat... i found all the parts shipped to my door for around $600... I figure it is well worth the price because it is my first boat and I want it working...

O.K. All good things to know. None of us have a crystal ball. Once you get all that installed, let us know how it goes.

Yes these are good things to know yet the being an ass and posting bull instead of helpful information is not... Do not post unless you have useful information for me.. I am not stupid and I don't appreciate being treated as such.. How is that for your crystal ball ass..

Back