Logo

1966 Johnson 100 hp jets

rhughes14

Hello
I am new to this site as well as boating itself I just bought my first boat and i can't wait to get it on the water. I have a 1966 johnson 100 hp outboard and I was wondering if someone could tell me if i need to re jet it? I bought the boat from a guy who was running it at about 5000ft elevation and I will be running it up around 7000ft. Is it possible to lean it out enough without rejetting it? If I need to re jet it where can i buy the jets? Thank you for any information.

If it was " rejetted " for 5000 ' elevation you may be OK----------Pull the 4 jets out and see what # they are.-You will need a 3/16" diameter shank screw driver.-------Post the # and I will see what jet size it is standard, I have about a dozen of those carburetors.-Factory maintenance manual calls for hole size of 0.070"------These are excellent motors , bullet proof electric shift lower unit and are user friendly as far as the average person being able to maintain them.

Last edited:
What # jets should I have so I know if I have the right ones when i pull it out. Also if i'm going to pull one out wont i have to re tune the engine when i reinstall them? If so how do i go about this I'm pretty good with mechanical things but i have never played with outboards before.

Also I am replacing a few parts in the control unit and i was going to clean it up so my question is what kind of grease should i put back in it when i go to put it back together?

Take out one of the jets ( orifice ) using a 3/16" shank screwdriver.-----Look at the # found on it and post it.---------------When you are done just screw it back in snug.----------It is a fixed jet and is not adjusted !!------------These jets are found behind the 4 drain plugs for the bowls.---------If you are not sure where they are , look it up top of this page under parts.----------Just use a multi purpose grease.

Check the number on the jet again !--If it is in fact an 85 then there is something wrong.------------------Maybe it is a 65C , use a magnifying glass if you must.

It may be a 65 I can't see a letter afterwards I pulled two of them and on both they are either 85 or 65 but what are they supposed to be for that elevation?

Just took a jet out of a 66 evinrude 100 HP and the jet is a 65.------That would be standard for up to 1000' elevation.--------Best to contact a dealer and see if there are service bulletins or charts.

I went to the dealership today and all they could give me was the part number for the orifice. This is just the number given off the diagram like whats on this website. If i order this wont it be the standard 65 that I already have? I haven't seen any charts or anything like that on which one i need anywhere my manual should be here soon so maybe that will have it in it.

It is just too bad that the dealer has that attitude / lack of knowledge or whatever.----------A factory service manual of say a 1995 V-4 Johnson has a complete list of carburetor jets and parts numbers and the sizes.----Those jets will also fit a 66 V-4 too.--------So sad really.

So should I be looking for jets for a newer model since they would be easier to find? So what your saying is that pretty much all of. Their engines take the same jet?

Back