Logo

1966 Evinrude Shifter

57pack

Hello, new old guy here. I have a 1966 Evinrude 9 1/2 HP Sportwin outboard. Engine runs fine but have a shifter problem.
for many years when you put motor into forward it would occasionally pop out of gear into neutral. This season I could not use this motor as it does the gear pop out thing all the time. Is there an adjustment I could attempt? Any instructions greatly appreciated!
My backup motor is a 1953 Scott Atwater that came with my boat new.

Adjustment? Sort of wishfull thinking. Are the rubber motor mounts broken? Grab hold of the flywheel (not running, duh) and see if you can move it fore and aft. Some rubbery movement is normal, but flopping around loose in there is not. If mounts are broken (a common problem), that throws the whole shift linkage out of whack.

Many other things could also be the problem. Can we assume it actually is popping into neutral and not just slipping like spinning your wheels on ice? Slipping is probably a spun prop hub.

And of course the clutch dog and forward gear may be worn out.

Thank you for your response! I’ll check those item out and get back to you and post an update.
Engine does go into gear and boat begins to move forward then there is a bang and shift lever pops up into neutra.

Since it was not looked at promptly you now have to take the lower unit off and take it apart.-----No special tools / skills required.------Inspect bushing above the pinion gear.-----Inspect edges on clutch dog and forward gear.-----New parts will be expensive if you go that route.-----Be cheaper to look for a similar motor used , for all the parts + some.-----If you decide to repair make sure shift linkage is properly adjusted up top.

Thank you, Sounds like a good winter project. Motor was bought new by my dad and mostly used on a lake in upstate NH for two months or so each year.
Funny thing is, my daughter told me this pass weekend that the motor had been doing this for years, progressively getting worse.

Funny thing is, my daughter told me this pass weekend that the motor had been doing this for years, progressively getting worse.

Usually this is caused by boaters who think they are taking it easy on the engine by shifting into gear as slowly as possible. However, the complete opposite is created as shifting slowly allows the edges of the shifter and gear lobes to make contact, clattering many times before they finally go into place to grab each other (be in gear)... and each time they clatter, a bit of the edges wear off.

The proper method of shifting is to SNAP the unit into gear as fast as possible.

Although parts are expensive, and used lower units are a gamble... you might also think about having a machine shop refinish the edges of the shifter dog and gear lobes.

Thanks Joe, I’ve been around outboard motors since late 1940’s and always shifted (when equipped) into gear with low throttle and easing into gear. That would account for my issues today with our Evinrude.
I’ll get into the motor today and see what I find.

OK, I checked the engine mounts as motor seems to move around rather freely.
looks like the rubber mounts have separated. I’ll order a set and see if there is a marked improvement.

OK, I checked the engine mounts as motor seems to move around rather freely.
looks like the rubber mounts have separated. I’ll order a set and see if there is a marked improvement.

I'd suggest you drop the lower unit first and completely dismantle it to see what you're up against. as on the 9.5hp models, to replace the motor mounts, the starboard side casing must be removed first, then the entire engine removed from the port casing before the motor mounts are accessible..... Hellava job!

Thanks, definitely tight on the starboard side!
I was planning on going over the lower end anyway.
a winter project awaits!

Back