Logo

1965 evinrude 40572A Forward Gear

I just got a 1965 evinrude 40572A 40 HP motor. I brought it out on the lake and found that everything works but the forward gear. I have electric shift, and the button clicks but it doesn’t go into forward. The neutral and the reverse works. Any advise on where to start? How do I test the wires to make sure it’s not that?

Towards the rear of the powerhead, you will find the shift wires, blue and green. Slide the insulators back to expose the disconnects. Disconnect them!!!!! Now use a jumper wire to connect the green wire coming up from the lower unit, directly to the positive battery terminal. Should go into forward gear. If it does, the lower unit is ok and the problem is electrical, most likely a bad push-button switch. WARNING--- do not connect to both blue and green wires at the same time. It may cause $$$damage.

Thank you, i will take a look. The connection points look to be all shot. Ill probably replace all of these. What do you think? Do i need this terminal strip? or can i just wire them back directly to the other wires?

Attachments

• IMG_4114.jpg
    IMG_4114.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 38
Hoo boy, I have no idea what you are working with there, except it is not original. Somebody has hacked and cobbled. You are going to have to sort that out yourself. Best you begin with a factory wiring diagram.

Hoo boy, I have no idea what you are working with there, except it is not original. Somebody has hacked and cobbled. You are going to have to sort that out yourself. Best you begin with a factory wiring diagram.

yeah, I figured it wasn’t original. This connection point is located half way between unit and steering. There is also wiring for choke, amp meter, kill switch, and ignition.

Bypass all the wiring.---Find the green wire at the motor , going into the lower unit.-----Disconnect it at the knife connecter.------Start the motor and apply 12 volts to the green wire going into the lower unit.----Do you have forward gear , yes or no ?

Bypass all the wiring.---Find the green wire at the motor , going into the lower unit.-----Disconnect it at the knife connecter.------Start the motor and apply 12 volts to the green wire going into the lower unit.----Do you have forward gear , yes or no ?

okay, I’ll do that. Why would they put the terminal strip on there? Any ideas?

These motors in 1965 came with a junction box that was mounted inside the boat on the transom.--Had a terminal strip / solenoid / voltage regulator in it.------Do you have that unit ?-----And this motor may have had 5 previous owners all with wonderful ideas when it comes to 12 volts and wiring.-----Is the generator in working order ?-----It needs to be as the shift electromagnets draw constant power when in gear !

These motors in 1965 came with a junction box that was mounted inside the boat on the transom.--Had a terminal strip / solenoid / voltage regulator in it.------Do you have that unit ?-----And this motor may have had 5 previous owners all with wonderful ideas when it comes to 12 volts and wiring.-----Is the generator in working order ?-----It needs to be as the shift electromagnets draw constant power when in gear !

I haven’t had it on long enough to know for sure. How can I test it? Yes it came with the junction box.

Yes, it has the meter on the dash. It looks like one of the wires on that terminal strip was off. Maybe it was that one... looks like I’m going to have a long weekend of figuring this out.

If it has the original instruments, it has an ammeter on the dash to indicate the charge rate.

This is what is came with. It seems to be in working order. Im looking to upgrade the gauge to digital thought. Can i just transfer wires to the digital meter? Also, this is the electric shift wires right? IMG_9751.jpgIMG_5738.jpg

Yes those are the shift wires. As for the digital meter, I don't know what you are planning to use. But I suppose the answer is yes (??) Unless it may require a shunt resistor (??)

Back