Logo

1964 Evinrude 5.5 mod#5402B - Need help

mack700

I picked this motor up real cheap and was taking it apart to clean and to replace the impeller. I removed the powerhead and found a cork washer and a ss washer was stuck to the bottom of the crankcase. On top of the drive shaft I found what appears to be a ss bearing followed by a small O ring which fits inside a black seal, a spring, and a washer that the spring fits into on bottom. I can't find this ss bearing anywhere in the parts manual. I know someone had taken this motor apart previously as there were some parts missing. I'm attaching photos showing the bearing in question (marked with a green arrow). If anyone can help identify this part, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

- Bob

Attachments

• DSC_0783-1.jpg
    DSC_0783-1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0782-1.jpg
    DSC_0782-1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0779-1.jpg
    DSC_0779-1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0787-1.jpg
    DSC_0787-1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 51
That bearing does not belong there.---------Not a part of the seal assembly !!---------Likely someones " I know better idea "-To put it in there.

The SS Bearing does not belong there. There should be a SS Pin thru a hole in the top portion of the driveshaft which protrudes out on each side.

A brass cup sits on top of that pin. The spring fits inside hat cup. The black carbon part sits on top of the spring with the O Ring side up. The SS Steel washer sits on top of that carbon item with the flange flacing up and the cork seal sits on top of that washer.

This results in a bottom crankcase/crankshaft seal.

Thank you racerone and joereeves. I was pulling my hair out trying to find it in the manuals. I have all the parts I need (with the exception of the little gasket at the bottom of the spring). Once I get that, I'm ready to reassemble the motor.

Thanks again for your help.

- Bob

Gasket at the bottom of the spring ????-----------There is a " cup " at the bottom of the spring and it is driven by a pin that goes through the driveshaft.

Back