Logo

1964 40hp RDSL-26R Wiring

cd202

Just picked up a 40 horse Johnson and it is missing the junction box. Does anyone have a actual wiring chart of the motor so I can begin to make my own? Shouldn't be too hard just a starter solenoid and a voltage regulator. Unless someone has a extra laying around and wants to make my life easy. Thanks

I think I got most of it figured out besides a few questions. How does the cutoff switch get wired? How does the circuit for the temp sensor get wired? I understand there is supposed to be a override toggle switch wired in? Think everything else is figured out.

There are many types of cutoff switches, kill switches, dead-man switches... If you have a 2 wire switch whereas having a lanyard yanked off causes the two wires to make contact within the switch... it's simply a matter of having each of those wires connected to one each of the two ignition points. When the lanyard is yanked off, the points are shorted together and that kills the ignition.

The heat sensor TAN wire would lead to one wire of a warning light or horn... the other wire of the light or horn would be connected to the "A" or "I" terminal of the ignition switch as those two terminals have 12v applied ONLY when the key is in the ON or START position.

Heat sensor makes sense. Must ground itself when it hits it's heat limit. As understand then that should also be wired into the kill line so that it kills when it overheats and put a toggle in that line to bypass it if needed.

For the cutoff switch as I understand it kills spark to one cylinder if you go from full throttle to idle fast?

Heat sensor makes sense. Must ground itself when it hits it's heat limit. As understand then that should also be wired into the kill line so that it kills when it overheats and put a toggle in that line to bypass it if needed.

No... I have no idea what you're talking about. Don't go dreaming up some experimental system. The wire goes exactly as I said with nothing added.

You go throwing another line in there to what you're calling a kill line... you'd be throwing 12v directly to the points which would burn them to a crisp the second the key was turned on!

Last edited:
For the cutoff switch as I understand it kills spark to one cylinder if you go from full throttle to idle fast?

The "cut-off switch" that functions via vacuum would ground out one set of points to help bring the rpms down so as to prevent a runaway engine scenario.

Back