Logo

1963 Evinrude Speed Twin Tiller handle

panfishvinnie

I was just given a 1963 28hp. Evinrude Speed Twin Motor for helping a friend clean out a basement at his daddy's house. He told me the lower unit had been worked on, and it ran good the last time his daddy used it, which was a number of years ago. The Tiller handle was laying next to the motor, and I am not sure if it is broken, or made to be removed. It appears to be a electric start model as there is a battery cable coming from under the cowling. The motor under the cowling looks very clean, and the prop has no nicks or pieces missing from it. That's about all I know for sure about this motor. I would like to see if I can make it run, and possibly use it as a backup motor. Do you think it is worth messing with? Are these motors known for being reliable, and easy to work on? I have a pretty limited amount of outboard motor repair experience. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Those are rugged/ elegantly simple / easy to work on.----With care will likely outlast you.-----No flimsy gears or plastic parts on them.

Back