Logo

1963 5.5 slow fast lean rich carb controls ?????

ramblinmanjim

First time owner of an outboard motor. Slow, fast, lean, rich carb controls. Can someone be kind enough to explain the function of these controls? Also, where should I set them to start motor? I haven't had it running yet. 1963 5.5 Evinrude.

I believe you turn them all the way in n then out 3/4 to 1 turn out n adjust while running for to fine tune it in for your outboard i think, you can go on YouTube n watch a couple videos n it will help you understand the function of the carb a little better n maybe get a service manual can help out

????-----------Post # 2 has the info for you.----Read and heed them.--------The knobs are on the front for the informed operater to adjust depending on fuel condition and local atmospheric condition.

the settings of 0.75-1 turn out would be a general setting to start with then as you run your engine you can fine tune it with controls for best engine performance (idle-full throttle) witch may change throughout year depending on weather or how spark plugs are looking, I think but a lot of knowledgeable people on hear can correct me if I'm wrong, I hope that helps

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

The knobs on the cover are adjustments knobs for the carb if you take top cowl off outboard you will see bars that go from knobs to the carb that is the only control knob on the front of that outboard that I know of, hope that is what your talking about n helps if not take a picture of control knob you are referring too n post here

Actually the idle speed is set with the timing advance. Adjust the slow needle after the engine is fully warmed up on the water or in a barrel in forward gear. Then point the boat toward the big part of the lake and take it WOT and adjust the high speed needle for the best performance. Then take it back to slow and adjust the slow needle again. Once dialed in you should not need to touch them again.

None of these answers are what I am asking. I am not asking how to adjust the carb. I am asking how to use the on the fly knobs on the cover.

Those knobs are not "on the fly" adjustment knobs.... they are the carburetor slow and high speed adjustment knobs that are to be adjusted initially as we instructed, then left alone. We have given you specific instructions BUT you have your head screwed around some other fantasy whereas you are going to be racing down the river adjusting the carburetor for ever rpm setting.

Think about it.... the later model engines have fixed jets whereas they do not need an initial adjustment. Your older model requires this adjustment one time only.

We happen to know what we're talking about... and you're not listening! Re-read reply post #6.

I agree with ramblingmanjim. I have the same question. On the face of the cowling there is a choke knob(push-pull), a slow lean/rich knob (turn counterclockwise or clockwise) and a fast lean rich/ rich knob (turn counterclockwise or clockwise).
Where should these control knobs be set when starting a cold engine?

if you dont know how to set those knobs you run the risk of damaging the engine too little fuel ingested by the carb can cause it to run hot and also the oil is in the fuel so you are effectively starving the engine of oil also i always try to run my engines on the rich side cus i hate having to rebuild stuff also i belive that engine has plain bearings in it im not sure if it was 62 or 64 when they went to needle bearings but id run 16:1 in it if you want it to last another 70 or so years

Back