Logo

1961 Johnson RDSl-23 frozen drive shaft. How can it be freeded

Various ways.----I have made adapters and used a slide hammer to pull them out.----I am not there to see what material / tools you have in your workshop.

Frozen drive shaft splines are unusual in that model. Are you sure it is the shaft? Have you removed the long rear bolt? What does the rest of the motor look like?

Agreed.-----Post #1 did not give details on what had been done / not done so far.

Last year had the water pump replaced by a mechanic at a small engine shop.
Not sure he greased the spline of the drive shaft on reinstall.
Took the boat to a certified mechanic who tried to remove the lower unit so he could replace the seals on propeller shaft and gears. He could not get the lower unit loose and said it would take him too many hours to fix.
I have the motor off the boat and upside down trying to spray blaster in the socket of the crankshaft.
All six bolts are removed and the drive shaft will not come loose with wedges trying to pry the lower unit from the long shaft extension.
There is no long bolt still attached.
Any suggestions?

Six bolts? Sorry, there are seven. Six small bolts and one long bolt.​ Once again,, have you removed it? Stop where you are before you break something.

Six bolts? Sorry, there are seven. Six small bolts and one long bolt.​ Once again,, have you removed it? Stop where you are before you break something.
Is it under the extension cover in the rear above the prop?
I have put the hammer away.
Thanks for the advice. I will ck for the long bolt tomorrow in the daylight.
I trusted the mechanic telling me the drive shaft was frozen!

Last edited:
Back