Logo

1959 70 hp Mercury question

FairChase

I bought a 1959 Thomson wood boat to restore. It has a 70 hp Mercury that is currently seized. The owner said the motor was running fine 4 years ago and it has been sitting in the garage since. I am hopping I can get it back to running condition.
My question is about the 2 cracks on the lower section exactly on the same spot on both sides. I cannot think of anything hitting the casing from inside to cause the crack. Can the corrosion cause it to crack? I am wondering what caused it and if it has anything to do with it being seized. I cannot move the gear shift to see if the prop is turning. Everything is seized.

Also need recommendation on what is best to use to remove the corrosion?
Appreciate the help. Jeff

70hp.jpgLower endL.jpgLower endR.jpg

Remove the lower unit and see if the motor will turn.------Then you will have to work on the lower unit to see why it had water in it and froze.----You might want to look for another complete lower unit.

Remove the lower unit and see if the motor will turn.------Then you will have to work on the lower unit to see why it had water in it and froze.----You might want to look for another complete lower unit.
Thanks,

I should have mentioned that the boat has been in Tampa, FL. There is no freezing here.

Could there be anything else causing it?

Back